1. AAG introduction and presentation - I try and make these as fun as possible since most students look terrified when I walk in the door (I assume it's due to the fact they are nervous for the interview not terrified of me...). We go over the basics of the program, who AAG is and tips on interviewing. This fair was interesting since I was giving tips on interviewing with me!
2. The interview - determining English level and how prepared a student is to participate in the Work & Travel program is the focus of the interview. Sometimes interviews are done one at a time, sometimes they are in groups. For this fair I interviewed students in groups.
3. The waiting - students that were slotted to interview near the end of the day had a long time to think about their interview. I spoke to a few students that were scheduled to interview last and they said it was well worth the wait (below some of the very last students to interview, with their great attitude they will rock the program).
That's just about it! Not to complicated. As I said this particular fair I really enjoyed as some of the students I had already met and had the pleasure of seeing again. Several students were returning after having already been to the U.S. for the Work & Travel program once and it was fun to hear how the program had changed their lives (for the better!). A few of my favorite moments from the fair:
1. I take my job VERY seriously. The program is meant to be a fun learning experience so the fair is meant to be a fun learning experience as well!
2. Sometimes I get presents! This student had told me in a previous interview that she did watercolor cards and she was kind enough to bring one for me.3. Getting to sign a job offer and knowing that a student will get to travel to the U.S. in 3 short months to have a life-changing experience. One of the students told me that I looked like the president signing papers.
I am looking forward to hearing about the students experience in the U.S. after they return from their Work & Travel program. It's only the beginning!
Erin - AAG Pilipinas